Celebrating 50 Years
Happy Birthday DFM!
A Message from Dr. David Price, Chair
Fifty years — In human years, a significant milestone and in organizations equally so. The academic year, 2017/18 represents 50 years of the Department of Family Medicine here at McMaster University. The last 50 years have seen this Department train thousands of family physicians, expose thousands more learners to the principles and values of comprehensive family medicine, participate in and disseminate millions of dollars worth of scholarly activities/research, and have an influence locally, provincially, nationally and internationally: far beyond what might have been expected from such a small and new department. It’s appropriate to take stock of where we’ve been, to understand what has helped us to get to this place, and hopefully to better see the road ahead for us all.
Interprofessional team-based care, E-health, gender and diversity equity, population-based primary health care which includes outstanding care from preconception to palliative care at both the individual and system-level; all are part of the pieces of the quilt that make up our department. The most important piece, however, is the people who have contributed so much of themselves over the decades. We celebrate all that you have contributed, accomplished, are accomplishing and will accomplish.
Happy Birthday, Department of Family Medicine and many happy decades to come!
- Karen and Ken hatched 4 adorable goslings.
- Karen and Ken decided to have their baby outside the Maternity Centre of Hamilton for #Canada150. Welcome friends. #HonkIfYouLoveGeese
- Thank you Sutapa Agrawal (Public Health Foundation of India) and Alexandra Joensson (University of Copenhagen) for joining us this week in collaboration and learning.
- We're proud & honoured to have the art of Conrad Furey gracing the walls of the David Braley Health Sciences Centre! Thank you so much to Conrad's widow, Theresa, for donated this beautiful piece. #HamOnt
- We're pretty sure this is the first time one of our faculty members has been on a billboard! Catch family doctor and assistant clinical professor Dr. Danielle Derrington on @am900chml every Saturday at 10 a.m! #hamont #healthshow #mcmaster #familymedicine
- Today is the final day of Block 7 for our residents. These four days are important educational experiences for all residents, with hands on learning of procedural skills taught by our experienced faculty members. #meded #medicaleducation #familymedicine #mcmaster